Visit to Beeleigh

On 18th September we were delighted to visit the former Premonstratensian abbey of Beeleigh at the invitation of the present owners, Mr and Mrs Foyle.  Beeleigh was established in 1180 and was suppressed during the Dissolution, it is the closest former house to our home in Chelmsford.

The Foyles have worked extensively to restore Beeleigh and it was a great privilege to visit a place that was a home to our Order for so many years.

Some photo-graphs of the exterior of the abbey:

 

1

93

92

A modern window featuring the founders of Beeleigh, together with St. Roger of Beeleigh and St. Norbert:

2 

Detail of the window: St. Norbert

 3

The Chapter Room:

6 

List of abbots:

5 

Window from the original abbey church, now in the calefactory:

 8

Statue of Robert Mantle, founder of Beeleigh:

9 

Detail from the statue showing Beeleigh in the arm of its founder:

 91

The arms of Beeleigh above the front door:

 7

The community sang the ‘Salve’ at the spot on which the high altar and the shrine to St. Roger stood. It was a wonderful opportunity to pray for our brethren of Beeleigh.

Our profound thanks to the Foyle family.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Chelmsford, Community Events, Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Pictures. Bookmark the permalink.