Category Archives: Former Houses

Dryburgh Abbey

Recently the Prior and two confreres visited Dryburgh Abbey in Scotland; Dryburgh was home to Adam of Dryburgh (c. 1140 – c. 1212) one of the most prolific British Premonstratensian writers, who became abbot of Dryburgh in 1184. The grounds … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Pictures | Leave a comment

Visit to Leiston Abbey

Yesterday a number of our confrères were able to visit Leiston abbey in Suffolk. The abbey was originally founded in 1182 at Minsmere (about 4 miles from Leiston) by Ranulf de Glanvill, the Chief Justiciar of England under King Henry II. Ranulf, … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, Premonstratensian Communities | Comments Off on Visit to Leiston Abbey

2013

MMXIII 2013 1627 years since the conversion of Our Holy Father Augustine 1583 years since the death of Our Holy Father Augustine 933 years since the birth of Our Holy Father Norbert 920 years since the birth of Blessed Hugh … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Community Events, Former Houses, General, Norbertine History, O.Praem Saints and Beati, Premonstratensian Communities, St. Norbert | Comments Off on 2013

Mass at Beeleigh Abbey

By kind invitation of the Foyle family members of our community together with over 250 Catholics and others from our parishes and beyond had the joy of celebrating Mass at the former Norbertine abbey of Beeleigh on August 17th. This … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Community Events, Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Pictures, Parish/Apostolate, Premonstratensian Communities, Vocation | Comments Off on Mass at Beeleigh Abbey

Premonstratensian Texts Online

Readers may be interested to learn that a number of texts have now appeared on Google books that relate to the Order. The texts are fully accessible by clicking on the links below and can also be downloaded in PDF … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Saints and Beati, Premonstratensian Communities, St. Norbert | Comments Off on Premonstratensian Texts Online

Visit to Beeleigh

On 18th September we were delighted to visit the former Premonstratensian abbey of Beeleigh at the invitation of the present owners, Mr and Mrs Foyle.  Beeleigh was established in 1180 and was suppressed during the Dissolution, it is the closest … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Community Events, Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Pictures | Comments Off on Visit to Beeleigh

In the month of September

2nd September: Ausculpus – of the abbey of Valsecret. Having studied at the university of Cologne, where he took doctorates in theology and canon law, he was called to Prémontré to fulfil the role of prior. Later, because of his … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Saints and Beati | Comments Off on In the month of September

The Premonstratensians in Essex

The earliest record of Premonstratensians in Essex is a note in the chronicle of Ralph, abbot of Coggeshall that in the year 1180 ‘the canons of Great Parndon, near Harlow moved to Maldon’ . Certainly the Premonstratensians had established a … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Former Houses, Norbertine History | Comments Off on The Premonstratensians in Essex

St. Dominic and the Order of Prémontré

As we mark the feast of St. Dominic, founder of the Order of Preachers, we also recall a venerable tradition that holds that St. Dominic was a member of the Premonstratensian Order, specifically that he was a sub-deacon at the … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Saints and Beati | Comments Off on St. Dominic and the Order of Prémontré

Former Houses: Beeleigh

The Abbey of Beeleigh in Essex was founded from Newhouse by Robert de Parndon. This house was first located in Great Parndon before 1172 and in 1180 it was transferred by Robert Mantel to Beeleigh. In 1249 there was enshrined at its … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History | Comments Off on Former Houses: Beeleigh