Category Archives: Former Houses

Floreffe

A certain noblewoman by the name of Ermesindis, the Countess of Namur, hearing that Norbert was passing through, quickly hastened to meet him and eagerly requested that he accept a church in the village of Floreffe and there install members of … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, St. Norbert

Essex Recusant Society

On Saturday Br. Rupert gave a talk to the Essex Recusant Society on the history of our Order in Essex; in Great Parndon, Beeleigh and Chelmsford. Br. Rupert spoke of our recent visit to Beeleigh Abbey and of the many pre-Reformation connections between … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Community Events, Former Houses, Norbertine History, Premonstratensian Communities

Visit to Beeleigh

On 18th September we were delighted to visit the former Premonstratensian abbey of Beeleigh at the invitation of the present owners, Mr and Mrs Foyle.  Beeleigh was established in 1180 and was suppressed during the Dissolution, it is the closest … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Community Events, Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Pictures

In the month of September

2nd September: Ausculpus – of the abbey of Valsecret. Having studied at the university of Cologne, where he took doctorates in theology and canon law, he was called to Prémontré to fulfil the role of prior. Later, because of his … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Saints and Beati

The Premonstratensians in Essex

The earliest record of Premonstratensians in Essex is a note in the chronicle of Ralph, abbot of Coggeshall that in the year 1180 ‘the canons of Great Parndon, near Harlow moved to Maldon’ . Certainly the Premonstratensians had established a … Continue reading

Posted in Chelmsford, Former Houses, Norbertine History

St. Dominic and the Order of Prémontré

As we mark the feast of St. Dominic, founder of the Order of Preachers, we also recall a venerable tradition that holds that St. Dominic was a member of the Premonstratensian Order, specifically that he was a sub-deacon at the … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History, O.Praem Saints and Beati

Former Houses: Beeleigh

The Abbey of Beeleigh in Essex was founded from Newhouse by Robert de Parndon. This house was first located in Great Parndon before 1172 and in 1180 it was transferred by Robert Mantel to Beeleigh. In 1249 there was enshrined at its … Continue reading

Posted in Former Houses, Norbertine History